Thursday, May 15, 2014

Casual, yet refined Minneapolis American eatery

I was lucky enough to dine with my friend, Julie, whom I do not have the opportunity to see very often so it was a treat to be able to catch up, especially since her field of work is similar to mine. She chose Restaurant Alma in Minneapolis and I was eager to try this restaurant since I am already a fan of Brasa - the restaurant Chef Roberts opened eight years after opening Restaurant Alma.

Chef Alexander Roberts is well known in the culinary circle in the Twin Cities and there is good reason he receives such respect. Every detail in this restaurant was carefully thought out and executed flawlessly. From the hostess who took my coat to the server who was quiet, yet professional, the details did not go unnoticed.

The selection of wines included a wide range which easily complemented the food. The server was very knowledgeable about the wine (and that knowledge was confirmed when I heard her speak to another table who were asking for some specific details).

The bread basket featured fresh, warm bread that was hearty while still soft. The butter even featured coarse salt sprinkled on top.

The menu consists of three categories, of which you choose one from each for the tasting menu. I would highly recommend this as it gives a nice variety of flavors as well as textures and presentations. The first course is comprised of starters/salads. I enjoyed the Snap Pea & Mushroom Salad even though I typically don't eat mushrooms. This starter was detailed in textures as well as colors and the flavors blended well for this spring dish. Julie enjoyed a dish that included tempura fried mushrooms with lentils.



Our next course consisted of grains and pastas. I tried the Masa Corn & Black Bean Cake which included braised lamb, pickled carrot and avocado. Again, this is not a dish to which I would typically gravitate, but I was pleasantly surprised by the mix of textures between the corn cake and the braised lamb. Julie ordered the Tumeric Roasted Halibut. There was a small piece of halibut on top of rice noodles with a variety of spices and cashews. The blend of flavors along with the substance of the noodles created a dish worth savoring.





Our entree course consisted of meat and seafood. I opted for the crispy trout which was accompanied with a few grilled fingerling potatoes and topped with an anchovy-almond sauce. Julie had the scallops which was paired with a refreshing side.



Although we were very satisfied with our three courses, I knew I couldn't leave without trying dessert. I opted for the Manchego Cheesecake and Julie tried the Honey Chocolate Pot du Creme. I would highly recommend both. The cheesecake had just the right amount of sweetness but creamier than a typical cheesecake. The roasted strawberries were especially exquisite and a delightful departure from the typical strawberry accompaniment. Julie's Pot du Creme was paired with honeycomb candy and chocolate angel food cake.




If you are looking for a refined dinner while in a relaxed atmosphere, this is the place for you. You could go for a special occasion as easily as you could for a weekday night dinner with a friend. You will not be disappointed.

www.restaurantalma.com

No comments:

Post a Comment